Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Review: Beloved Vampire by Joey W. Hill

Beloved Vampire (Vampire Queen)
Beloved Vampire (Vampire Queen) by Joey W. Hill

Published:  August 4th 2009 by Berkley Trade

Details:  Paperback, 464 pages
Price:  $10.20
Description:  Fourth in the "darkly rich"(TwoLips Reviews) Vampire Queen series.

The Blurb:  Escaping the depraved servitude of a vampire master she killed, Jessica has found her way, with three nomadic guides, to the sun-baked desolation of the Sahara-only to slowly perish. Then she hears the tale of Farida, an enigmatic beauty lost as well to the Sahara three centuries ago, whose ancient desire for the legendary vampire Lord Mason is stirring the same desires in Jessica. But the more Jessica's fatal curiosity reveals of Farida, the closer she gets to Lord Mason's irresistible and forbidden secret.

My Thoughts:  My rating: 3 of 5 stars (or 2 1/2 really)

I was torn on this how to review this one. I liked it...but I didn't like it. 2 seems too low, 3 too high...

I really liked the plot, the setting, and the characters in this book. The hero and the heroine were great, as were the secondary characters. The book was very dark, which is fine, but I felt that some of the torture scenes from the heroine’s past were just way too disturbing for me. I understand that torture isn’t supposed to be pleasant, and I have read a lot of books with torture in them. Usually I will have a deeper sympathy for the victim, and I definitely did here as well, but at I had a hard time getting through at some (1 in particular) scenes. When I’m reading erotica, I just don’t want extreme sexual torture involving fecal matter. It was just too disturbing for me. I love vampire books, vampire books of all kinds… I’m not easily disturbed. As much as I could have liked this book, the level of torture just ruined it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...