Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Most Wanted by Barbara Sheridan



Barbara Sheridan's new book, Most Wanted comes out today, and lucky me, I had a chance to get a little "Behind the Book" type of article from her.  yay me!  I so much love that kind of thing.  And I get to share it with you!

And, an excerpt too!  That makes double yay me!!  

So, I step aside and I give you...


Barbara Sheridan...
Mention lawmen of the Old West and chances are you'll think of Wyatt Earp, the Texas Rangers or Bat Masterson. I used to think of them, too but now the ultimate Old West lawmen for me are the Hillhouse cousins Jason and Corby and most recently Jason's cousin Jon Sauvage.

While my three favorite lawmen are fictional characters they're based in part on the men I read about while researching the former Indian Territory (now Oklahoma) to flesh out Jason a captain of the Choctaw Lighthorse. This mounted tribal police force existed in each of the nationsof the Fice Civilized Tribes who were relocated from their ancestral lands in the southeastern United States along the Trail of Tears in the early 19th century.

From their inception inthe early1820's until 1860 the Choctaw Lighthorsemen acted asjudge, jury and sometimes executioner of tribal lawbreakers. While they shared law enforcement duties of the Indian Territory with the U.S. marshals out of Fort Smith, Arkansas the lighthorsemen had no jurisdiction over white criminals or any Indian who committed crimes with white accomplices. This double standard is undoubtedly what led many lighthorsemen to seek commissions in Fort Smith as deputy U.S. marshals themselves they way my Jason and Jon did.

If you're interested in learning more I recommend The Rise and Fall of the Choctaw Republic by Angie Debo and Black, Red and Deadly: Black and Indian Gunfighters of the Indian Territories by Art Burton

While my Jason and Corby Hillhouse found their HEAs with women, cousin Jon hero of Most Wanted finds his match in the form of young Boston reporter Timothy Dwyer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 














Most Wanted by Barbara Sheridan

Category: Novellas
Book Type: Most Wanted by Barbara Sheridan eBook June 30



Description:

1894

Boston born and bred Tim Dwyer doesn't relish the thought of giving up Eastern comforts for life in the rough-and-tumble West. But when he finds himself with with no job, little money, and no place else to go, he accepts a position at his cousin's weekly newspaper in the Indian Territory. When his cousin and his new editor cook up a roving reporter assignment, Tim learns that spending a mere week in the life of U.S. Deputy Marshal Jon Sauvage won't ever be enough to satisfy his needs.

Choctaw lawman "Savage Jon" Sauvage has spent his entire adult life content with chasing wanted men and taking his pleasures wherever and however he can. But once he's roped into letting a big city reporter tag along with him on a manhunt, Jon soon suspects that Tim Dwyer might just capture his heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excerpt 


Sauvage was saddling his horse. As if sensing Tim's presence, he spun around, surprise flashing in his eyes though his demeanor remained neutral.


"Hello."


"What the hell are you doing here'"


Tim shrugged. "My Aunt Emmeline is married to Pat McNamara. He's Star and Lucy's uncle."


Sauvage frowned. "I know who Pat is. You don't need to talk down to me."


"I'm not... I wouldn't." Tim shook his head and exhaled a frustrated breath. "This was a mistake. Nevermind." He turned to go.


"Wait."


Tim turned. The smell of the hay and horses that normally might send him running didn't seem to matter. All he could focus on was the closeness of Jon Sauvage. He seemed so much larger than he had at the train depot, and he looked so handsomely uncomfortable in a stiff black suit, his hair slicked back.


"You're just visiting, then'"


Tim nodded and slid his hand into the pockets of his brown trousers to keep himself from fidgeting. "I considered staying. Star offered me a job at the paper."


Sauvage's left eyebrow quirked. "You taking it'"


"Um, I'm still considering it."


"Don't," the lawman said flatly. "This kind of place isn't for you. You'd do best to hightail it back East where you belong."


Tim brushed off the remarks. "You live around here'"


"My folks do," Sauvage said, turning back to his horse. "Me, I live on the road. Got too much to do to settle down."


"I'll let you get back to that, then."


Tim paused, waiting for a reply, hoping that Sauvage would at least look at him once more. Of course he didn't. Tim had to shake this intense feel of attraction twisting his insides and making his cock ache. It was insane the way he wanted to throw himself at Sauvage. He turned and stepped away.


"Wait."


Tim turned back. Sauvage was right there. He grabbed his sleeve and pulled Tim into the dark recess to the left of the barn door. Tim's pulse raced at being pinned between the wooden wall and Sauvage's rock solid chest. The man's sturdy arms stretched out on either side of him.


"This isn't the kind of place you need to be."


"You said that already," Tim said softly. He swallowed, thoroughly impaled by the tall Choctaw's dark gaze, the hunger he saw burning there. It was an attraction he was certain of now, the same attraction he felt. Sauvage leaned in a fraction, and Tim licked his lips, waited, and prayed for a punishing kiss.


Sauvage pulled back, walked to his horse, and led the animal outside by the reins, leaving Tim alone with his longing amid the pungent smells of the barn.



2 comments:

  1. Oh man! That is hot... something about those cowboys. WOW! Thanks for the tease. I am adding this post to my What They Said list, so I can come back to it when I am in a buying mood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Miranda: You're most welcome, I'm glad you liked it. *gasps* oh yay, on your big cool sidebar? Awesome!!

    I can't wait for this one. And an m/m for the series, yay! I've got Jason's book, Bittersweet Surrender, signed *swoons*, but haven't read it either darn it. Not feelin' the m/f right now, obsessed with the m/m, so now this here... oh yeah. I'm ready. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...