Friday, December 31, 2010

The best of my year...


New Years. 

Many people make resolutions right now.  I don’t.  Seems silly to me, and full of fail every year I’ve tried.  I’ll quit smoking, I’ll get into shape, I’ll..I’ll..I’ll… yeah, no I won’t. 

What I do do at the new year, is reflect.  Look back.  Where have I been, what have I done, what was good, what wasn’t.

This year as I look back, most of was I see was … a damn hard year.  Several ups, many downs and a whole lot of round and rounds.  I don’t want to look at or talk about the hard things.  I don’t like them, and as I’ve said before, my blog is my happy place.  My up place.  So I decided to blog about a day this year that even looking back on, 6 months later, still just rocks my fucking socks to no end.

It was June, 28th.  I will never forget it.  It was about 4:00 in the afternoon.  I was home, in my room, playing on Facebook with some friends, just having a grand ol’ time.  Nothing but fun.  All of a sudden, a friend of mine, who also happens to be my favorite author disappeared right in the middle of it all.  Threw up a little status thingy that said he was “cooking something up”… and vanished. 

He reappeared with a “the deed is done.  Goodnight” and vanished again.  Several minutes later my email went off. 

It was 4:34 p.m.  

I switched over to find he’d sent me a copy of a WIP.  I was confused.  I opened it,  and what I found in there caught me by such surprise, it took me several attempt to process what I saw.  It was a dedication page, “To Black Mamba and her Posse” it read.  I looked at it again… yep, that’s what it said… um… I’m Black Mamba… I thought… looked at it again… and I screamed.

I screamed so loud…people came running to see what the hell was wrong with me.  After I screamed, and assured everyone I didn’t lop off a limb or something,  I almost hyperventilated.  I flailed about, like a crazy person, and went back to FB. 

He was gone.

I flailed like that for the rest of the night.  I had no idea if I could even say anything about it to anyone.  I fired off several emails to him… WAIT… COME BACK HERE… GET OUT OF BED!!!!   LOL, I stayed in that condition until the next day.

Never will I forget that moment.  Ever.  I still have no idea why he did that.  And it doesn’t matter.  It was so fucking awesome, best day last year, best moment, hands down.

I still have that.  The email.  That dedication page.  It’s waiting to be framed, just right, when the real book comes out.  I have plans for that.  It’s going to be awesome.

Out of all the days this year, with it's several ups, many downs and a whole lot of round and rounds… that day… June 28, 2010, 4:34pm…for the win.

The book comes out this year.  May I think.  Plan on hearing a lot more about this one.  This book is very special to me.  It always will be.  Because of that day, that moment.

What is it?  Besides the best book ever… I the whole wide world?

Scorpion by Aleksandr Voinov

And all I can say now is…

Thank you.  You made my whole year.

Amara…out.

12 comments:

  1. Scorpion is a great one! To be sure. And to dedicate it to you, my dear, is a stroke of genius.

    You have been a bright spot in my year as well, as I have written about in my New Years blog. I am so glad me "met" and I look forward to the next year in your company.

    Happy New Year, my dear. I wish you only good times in 2011.

    Love you,
    Brita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just letting you know, my dear friend, that you rock everyones socks off!!

    Happy New Year!! Here's to very good for the New Year.

    Mom and I love you,

    Fredrick Alan (yes I have a middle name)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, what have I done. :)

    No, in all seriousness, I need to stick around when I mess with your head like that. Doing something and heading off to bed is no fair. :)

    Happy new year,and may many great years follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome thing to have be your best day ever Dear!!! I am really glad that with all your ups and downs this year, that you have this to look at and smile over.

    You rock Amara and you deserve this happiness!

    I hope the New Year brings you lots more of these happy moments! *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Brita: Is that not just the book of awesome! The man is a genius, lol, not sure that has much to do about the dedication as much as... master of a wicked pen. But don't tell him... we don't want his head to swell. shhhh.

    I saw your blog, you put the biggest smile on my face. You rock Violet. 2011... is going to be awesome! I just know it!

    Happy New Year dear. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Fredrick Alan: You make me laugh! Of course you have a middle name. I never doubted for a moment.

    And I am glad I rock your socks babe. You rock mine too. :))

    Happy New Year Fredrick :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Aleks: What have you done? Blew my brain. (see how nice I worded that this time? heehee) And yeah, you can't go dropping bombs like that and running off. You tortured me! Somehow, I'm pretty sure you meant to also you big meanie. :P

    Happy New Year dear. All the best to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year, Amara!

    I hope everyday in 2011 is as great as June 28, 2010 was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jen: Truly filled the awesome it was. :)

    Happy New Year dear, I wish you all the very best for you and your boys. :)

    2011 is going to be great. I just know it will!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Lily: Thanks honey. Me too, and I hope the same for you!!

    Happy New Year dear. :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that is an awesome story! Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great story! What a way to remember 2010! Hope 2011 brings more of the same joy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...