Monday, June 27, 2011

Review: Where He Belongs by Rachel Haimowitz

I really do love Daniel, and if you know me, or regularly read my blog, I'm sure you're beginning to realize... I totally love Rachel Haimowitz.  In fact, Amara may even be willing to say... she has more than one favorite author these days.  Seriously, Rachel's books... rock.  Rock TOUGH.

This week I'm lucky enough to be included in another of her blog tours. *does the I'm in a blog tour dance* W00T!  

*clears throat and regains some composure* 

The blog tour for Where He Belongs gets rolling in full swing today with a stop over at Urban Silver.  My stop is tomorrow, at which time I get to interview... Daniel himself... *happy dance*...and host a giveaway too.  I am soooo excited about all of that.  Tot-al-ly. 

I'll have the entire tour schedule posted over on the side bar for the duration, Rachel also has info over on her blog.

With book still being available for pre-order, I thought I'd go ahead and post an early review for that baby instead of waiting until the official release.

The special pre-order and raffle info is as follows, (click the cover for transport) ... 

Pre-order raffle! Every pre-order between May 13th and June 30th will be entered into a raffle for one of three exclusive prizes: a poster of the cover art signed by Rachel Haimowitz, a chapbook of the Where He Belongs collection signed by Rachel Haimowitz, or a $5.00 gift certificate for the Storm Moon Press store. In addition, all pre-orders will be available for download 48 hours prior to the official release.



Where He Belongs by Rachel Haimowitz
Release Date: July 1, 2011
Publisher: Storm Moon Press


The hottest name in network news is Daniel Halstrom. He is a sensation, a rising star. He is also a slave, owned wholly and completely by NewWorld Media.

But before he was a star, he was a frightened child from a bad place with a promising, if limited, future ahead of him. In The New Kid, young Daniel begins his schooling. Then, for a slave, the simple pleasure of a Bathroom Break is sometimes the only pleasure to be had. Later, Daniel doesn't know it, but A Chance Encountermight be the most important of his life. Next, in Camera Obscura, one of Daniel's colleagues reflects on the fact that as much as the camera may show, it can hide even more. Finally, when you're a slave, Independence Day is just another day.

Exclusive Bonus Content!
Excerpt from Anchored by Rachel Haimowitz, the debut novel in the Belonging series
The never-before-published prequel to Anchored
A sneak peek at Counterpunch, the upcoming Belonging novel by Aleksandr Voinov


*****
My Review:  4 out of 5 Amara Stars


Where He Belongs is a collection of 5 vignettes giving the reader glimpses into Daniel’s life prior to the book Anchored.  It starts with The New Kid, a story about a very young, shy Daniel recently arriving at NewWorld and ends with Independence Day showing a more grown up Daniel, forlorn as the world around him celebrates.

True to form, the author managed to pull me in to each story, which I was very impressed with given how short they are.  Each one was wonderfully crafted, vivid in its description and full of emotion.  It is written from the view point of several characters, including Daniel, which I loved, as it gave me a unique perspective of him each time.  Some of the characters I knew from Anchored, such as Daniel’s handler, some were new to me, and some I was very happy to see included, such as Daniel’s first love Victor.

Bottom line:  I really enjoyed this collection; it was wonderful to be able to revisit Daniel. I would highly recommend it to anyone who read and enjoyed Anchored, as well as anyone who hasn’t yet read it and would like a glimpse into the Belongingverse and life of the main character.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...