Monday, August 15, 2011

My Review: Dark Edge of Honor by Aleksandr Voinov & Rhianon Etzweiler

Dark Edge of Honor by Aleksandr Voinov and Rhianon Etzweiler


Release Date:  August 15, 2011
Publisher:  Carina Press
Length: Novel
Genre:  M/M

Blurb:  Sergei Stolkov is a faithful officer, though his deepest desires go against the Doctrine. A captain with the invading Coalition forces, he believes that self-sacrifice is the most heroic act and his own needs are only valid if they serve the state.

Mike, an operative planted within Cirokko's rebels, has been ordered to seduce Sergei and pry from him the Coalition's military secrets. His mission is a success, but as he captures Sergei's heart, Mike is tempted by his own charade and falls in love.
 

When the hostile natives of the planet Cirokko make their move, all seems lost. Can Mike and Sergei survive when the Coalition's internal affairs division takes an interest in what happened in the dusty mountains of Zasidka Pass...? 

*****

My rating:  5 out of 5 Amara stars

My thoughts:  This was a hard book for me to write a review for.  I actually had to read it twice, as the first time thru was so intense of a ride all I could do was drool on myself, gasp, stutter and want to scream at the authors… “OMG what did you do?!” … and... so on and so forth.  When I finished, I had no words and was left a bit dazed, wide eyed and gaping, with only one word uttered… Dayum.  A review, this does not make.
Upon rereading, I am really no better off.  The second time thru still took me for a ride and …threw me for a loop. 

So what's it mean? 


In a nutshell, I uber loved this book.  Twice.  Aleksandr Voinov and Rhianon Etzweiler make one fine writing team.  The writing was fantastic; strong, vivid, done in such a way as I could see and feel what was taking place.

I fell in love with both the main characters.  Sergei, the young Doctrine officer, falling for Mike and learning what it is to “feel” for the first time just tugged at my heart.  He was a mixture of the strong character I expect from a Voinov, yet so young and naive at the same time.  He was quite a mix for me.  Mike, the older, more experienced one, in the difficult position of being ordered to seduce Sergei in a covop mission while falling for him at the same time just tore at me, even wrecked me at times.  I’d be lying if I said he didn’t leaving me wanting to throttle him on occasion.  The secondary characters, good and bad, were just as engaging for me.

I loved the world in this book as well.  I’m personally not a big sci-fi fan, but this one was done in such a way that it had enough of a real world feel that the sci-fi didn’t throw me as it so often does, and yet it retained an otherworldly feel at the same time.  The plot was a rather slow build at first, which I didn’t at all mind as I loved watching Mike and Sergei connect.  I loved watching the emotions build, and I must say, I rather enjoyed the OMG scorching hot sex. Once the action got started, almost ½ way thru the book, the intensity of the ride was incredible.  I hesitate to say too much past that, as I would not want to spoil the ride for anyone.  It’s a thrill ride worth taking to be sure.  I will say, my second time thru, even knowing what was coming, I was brought thru every emotion possible, and still found myself wanting to scream “OMG how could you?!”  By the end, I was completely satisfied, and still left with only one word.  Dayum.

Bottom line:  I loved it and cannot recommend it highly enough. I very much hope to see more co-writing from these two authors, and a sequel would please me to no end.


Please note, this book book is not a light romance. It is a dark, gritty, military Sci-fi novel about war and soldiers. It contains scenes of dub-con, torture, violence and other various difficult scenes involving the main characters. 


Book received as ARC by request

5 comments:

  1. ..So wait, you liked the book?

    Kidding, kidding :) Very nice review, and I think you hit the nail on the head when screaming at the authors 'OMG What did you do?'

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLOL. um, yeah. I kinda liked it. :-p

    Thanks, I'm glad you liked my review. That makes me smile. :)

    *whispers* I think I did scream at Rhi. Can't remember for sure. But it's quite possible. Aleks got lucky, he was in bed when I read it, or I'd have screamed at him too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound as if you might like it just a little, lol! And if the scene you posted previosly is any example, this is def a hot book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @June: LOLOL Yeah. It's true. I did. And yeah, def a hot one, but the action ride was intense. They just rag dolled me all over the place. Amara may have a new fave book. Let's not tell my old fave book thou. Don't want it to get jealous. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. reall cute and nice review
    amara

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...