Sunday, September 11, 2011

Amara's White Chicken Chili

I've been cooking more lately, big pots of soups and beans and all manner of yummy. Filling the freezer, stocking up for healthier weeknight meals. Yesterday I made a big pot of my White Chicken Chili, it came out yummmmmmy. Some of my Twitter friends asked me to share the recipe so I decided to make my first ever recipe blog post.

I deviated from the recipe a bit after realizing I didn't have everything I needed, but it still came out yummy, just a bit more...colorful. (Changes I made in italics)

Here you go friends o'mine. Amara's White Chicken Chili...


4 Chicken Breasts (on the bone)
1 large Sweet onion, diced
1 can Stewed tomatoes
Garlic, diced
Cumin
Cilantro
Oregano
Crushed Red Pepper (pinch)
Chicken broth (I used water)
3 cans Small White or Navy Beans
1 can shoepeg corn (yellow corn)

Slow cook all but the cans of beans and corn in a large stew pot. (I cooked it very slow for about 4 hours). De-bone chicken, add beans and corn, cook another 20-30min.

I don't measure my spices, so I don't know how much to say to use. I used more than I normally would have  since I was cooking with water instead of chicken broth. Also why I added the stewed tomatoes, which was a good addition, I think I'll keep that.

The recipe works well in the crockpot as well, which is how I usually cook it, but as with most things it was more flavorful on the stove.

That's about it.

Hope you enjoy!

Later taters!


5 comments:

  1. Sounds super yum! I love chili so I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome. I bet it could be made in the crockpot too! I am so trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @jayhjay: Hiya! I love chili too. I may make a big pot of regular chili next weekend. I've been craving it. That's actually what I wanted to make yesterday, but didn't have the fixins. If you try it, let me know what you think. I hope you'll like it. :)

    @Jason: Oh yeah, totally crockpot worthy. That's how I usually do it, this was my first stove top attempt. :)

    Thanks for coming by guys. If you try it, I sure hope you like it. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I am going to try it on Wed in the crock pot. Any idea how much water/broth you used? I know you didn't measure anything but do you have a general idea?

    I have a great turkey chili recipe I make almost every other week and freeze leftovers for lunches and dinners. But I am excited to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya jayhjay :)

    Yeah, it kinda depends thou on what size crockpot you have. When I use the crock, I use my 4qt one (which I think is the average size one) and I only use 1 can of chicken broth, and 2 cans of beans. Less chicken too, 4 breasts are a lot for a 4qt. It's been a long while since I've made it, but I think I used 2-3 breasts. You can use thighs too, I just don't like dark meat.

    The actual recipe (found it :D)calls for...
    1 tsp Cumin
    1 tsp Oregano
    2 TBLS cilantro

    but I always use at least a little more because I find crock pot food can sometimes be bland.

    Cook it on low for about 5 hrs (or until chicken is done), then debone and add the beans and corn and cook until those are warm (about another 20-30 min). :)

    When I made it on the stove, I used probably 6-8 cups of water, would have used that much broth if I had it, enough to cover everything, like a soup.

    I've also used canned navy beans before, instead of the small white, those are good in it too. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...