Monday, September 5, 2011

Review: The Soldier and the State Trooper by Cherie Noel



Release Date: August 2011
Publisher: MLR Press
Genre: M/M

The Blurb: Career soldier Christie Collins figured out early that love could be lost in the blink of an eye, leaving an empty place that was just another pothole on life's rocky road. The detours of sudden single fatherhood and a nosy best friend who won't let even death stop her from interfering in every date leave Christie convinced that finding a partner is next to impossible.

State Trooper Robert Lindstrom catches Christie speeding along the stretch of highway he patrols and a routine traffic stop turns into love lights flashing and instant attraction for these two men in uniform. It looks like smooth sailing to their happily ever after until an unexpected deployment sends Christie into danger. Can their love survive both bombs and the betrayal of Christie by his closest comrade?

My rating: 3 1/2 Amara Stars

My thoughts:  I must admit, I have a thing for soldiers, so when I got my hands on this one I was a tad excited. I enjoyed it. It had all the elements for a good story; Humor, love, sex, action, betrayal. It’s set after the repeal of DADT, Christie, single father, the soldier in the story left raising his daughter Frankie after her mothers are killed in a car accident. Robert, hot Nordic god of a State Trooper, who knows he’s destined to be with Christie. The characters were fun, quirky, dare I say even rather adorable at times. Christie had me laughing out loud several times with his quips and his wit. 

I was hanging pretty good with the story, rather enjoying it even, right up until Christie’s deployment, at that point it kind of fell flat for me.  It did have action, which afterward found Christie in a drunken act of betrayal while Robert stayed home trying to take care of Frankie back on the home front.  But for some reason I just couldn't engage, it just didn’t have the intense feel for me that I was hoping for given the circumstances. When Christie comes home again, it seemed a rush to the end that kind of left me hanging there with an unfinished feel. I really would have liked to see more of Christie and Robert dealing with what they each had been thru during Christie’s deployment and the affects it surely would have on their relationship.

I was going to give a 3 star rating to the book, but in all honesty, I’m not sure my problems with the book don’t partially come from just having put down some highly intense, much darker, military romance, which could have made this one feel too light for my tastes and made it harder for me to fully engage.  So, in end the end I decided to go with 3 ½ stars.

I do plan to check out more from this author, I really look forward to seeing where her writing goes in the future. I would recommend this one to anyone likes a lighter type of soldier/military m/m romance.

*Book received from the author 

2 comments:

  1. Amara,
    Thanks for the time to write a thoughtful and thorough review. It is most appreciated.

    Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, was my pleasure. :) Sorry it took me so long, I keep biting off more than I can chew over here lol.

    Hope you had a good weekend darlin'. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...