Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Talking Covers with LC Chase

As we all know, I love books. And authors. And playing with books. And authors. But... know what else? Making art. I love that too. I make things aaaall the time. I draw, make photography, even made a few graphic art painting things a time or two in my day. Tis fun and all floats mah boat and rocks mah socks. Which is why I am vera excited to get to hang out with LC Chase for a minute. LC, along with writing da cool books, also makes some of the Riptide book covers of awesome.

Liiiike...this one...

*pets the nommy cover*

Um... yeah, soooo... what was I saying?

Oh! Yeah. I am vera excited. LC Chase. Boat floating, sock rocking, book cover making, LC Chase. W00T!

Let us begin. Shall we?

Doooo lets. :D



Amara: Hi LC. *smiles* Welcome to my Place. Make yourself comfortable darlin’. Thanks so much for coming and haning out for a bit.

LC: Thanks, Amara. I have to say, I’m excited about hanging out with you. :-)

Amara: So, LC m’dear, I didn’t realize you made book covers. That is so cool. How long have you been doing those?

LC: I’ve actually worked in graphic design in the publishing area for a long time. I started out with magazines. Focusing on fiction book cover design however, less than a year.

Amara: How did you get started?

LC: I owe it all to Josh Lanyon (Thank you, Josh!) and word of mouth. Earlier this year, Josh held a contest on his blog for his readers to design a cover for his re-release of In a Dark Wood. Of course, I had to enter. Hello, Fanyon here. *g* After my cover was chosen and started to make the rounds, people started contacting me, asking if I’d design a cover for them. And then when Riptide was getting off the ground, Rachel invited me on board.

Amara: Awesome. So...how does this work? I mean… how do you go about deciding what a book cover should be, or have on it? What inspires you?

LC: A mood or tone is usually one of the first things to kick off my inspiration. But what should be on the cover, that’s discussed first with the author – what elements are prominent in the story, what the theme of the story is (paranormal, contemporary, sci-fi, etc.), physical descriptions of the main characters, etc. I also like authors to give me a few samples of covers they like because ultimately, it’s their cover and I want them to be proud to show it off.

Amara: How long does it take to make a book cover?

LC: Depends how involved it is, how many elements are included, etc. I usually spend at least an hour or two searching for the perfect images to begin with. Once I have the images sorted its time to work out the composition and then choose fonts, colors and effects to complement. The initial design can take anywhere from three to four hours or upwards of 10+, then however long it takes after that to tweak it until the author/publisher is happy.

Amara: I'm curious, do you use stock photos? Make your own artwork?

LC: I use stock photos, my own photos, and I sometimes contact photographers directly. I have done some of my own artwork for small elements, like in the Riptide books; we often use a little graphic as markers for scene breaks. I have purchased the software to start digital painting, but it will be a while yet until I’m confident enough with that skill set to offer it as an option.

Amara: Digital painting is fun. :D Who decides what the final cover looks like? What’s the process for that?
                                                                            
LC: The final okay on a cover is up to the author or publisher. If I’m doing work for an author who is self-publishing, I make suggestions as we go, but they have final say. So far, the only publisher I do covers for is Riptide and the process is pretty much the same, though the mock ups go through approval with them first, then to the authors to choose/tweak the final.

Amara: Which are your favorites you’ve done?

LC: That’s a toughie. All of them. *g* I don’t like to put anything out there until I’m happy with it first, but I guess my fave faves would have to be A Chip in His Shoulder, Be My Boy, Wanting, and the new Dangerous Ground series covers. And of course, In a Dark Wood. That one will always have a special place.

Amara: Oh, I love A Chip in His Shoulder. love Love LOVE. *whispers* I want to lick that guy. Ok, now... how in the world do you find the time to make book covers AND write books too?

LC: Uh…I’m tired a lot. ;-)  Really though, it has been a big lesson in time management and self-discipline. When I get involved in a project it’s very easy for me to completely lose track of time. The stomach starts growling non-stop and I realize I should have had lunch three hours ago, or I suddenly feel tired and realize its 2am – and I have to get up at 6am for the EDJ. I got myself a new watch that chimes every hour to help keep myself in check.

Amara: That’s all so cool to me. *grins* Maybe I should start calling you Super LC *winks*

LC: LOL I actually have a red cape in my closet. ;-)

Amara: Ha! Of course you do! *grins* 

Thanks for coming by to tell me about making your cool bookcovers. That just totally rocks.

LC: Thanks again for having me, Amara. It’s been fun, and your place rocks! :-)

Amara: heehee, that was fun. :D

To check out more of LC's uber awesome book covers, go see the gallery here. It's totally cool. Seriously. 

So what do you think? LC gives good cover yeah? 





30 comments:

  1. I really like your covers.  Keep up the great work.  I have a friend that digital paints and it took him a while to get comfortable with it but now he LOVES it and won't work with everything else.  Good Luck!!!

    sabrinayala at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love LC. I'm in awe of people who can take words and change them into images (as a writer, I do the opposite, really, so while one way is comfortable and easy for me, doing it The Other Way - is beyond a miracle for me). AND she's a writer, too. :-) 

    ReplyDelete
  3. She rocks the covers tough, that's for sure. Some of the Riptide ones in the gallery were my fave, you guys scored. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fascinating.. Thanks for this interview! Answered quite a few of questions I was interested in. :) Would love to design covers myself someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your books, but had not realised you also do covers as well. Found the interview more interesting than many I have been reading lately! Looking forward to the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your covers are amazing and I wish I had even a fraction of your creativity.  I too am a fan of the LA Witt cover.  That guy is totally drool-worthy!

    joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the interview; it was a great read.

    I'm heading over to LC's site to check out the other works.

    Thanks,
    Tracey D
    booklover0226 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post!  I'm always interested in how covers are created and Riptides are some of the most gorgeous I've ever seen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. arella3173_lovelessDecember 7, 2011 at 5:34 PM

    LOVE LC's covers. They're awesome. and agreed! lol... the cover of Chip, when I first saw it, I was all... *o* Oooo~ and Ahhh~ 
    lol... anyways, look forward to seeing more awesome covers and read more books by LC. 

    Judi
    arella3173_loveless(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sabrina! Thank you. :-) That's good to know about your friend. There's definitely a learning curve involved with the digital art for me. I'll get there though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Joder!  Its a whole lot of practice and patience. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for dropping by, Aija! Good luck with your future cover design work. I'm sure they'll be great. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for letting me come hang out, Amara, and for your kind words. You rock tough all around, chicka. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Tracey D, SarahM and Judi, I'm so happy you all enjoy the covers! The whole crew rocks, as far as I'm concerned. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've loved your covers, LC. They're awesome! =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My pleasure darlin'. I hope we get to do it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Aija! Wouldn't that be fun? I want to do it too. :) I entered one in a contest once, but... it sucked. *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for coming by Avalie. So glad you enjoyed the interview. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Drool-worthy indeed. Lickable too I'd say. ;) Yum/my!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Tracey. I'm so glad you enjoyed the interview. Thanks much :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Sarah, glad you enjoyed it. The Riptide covers are fabulous aren't they? Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lolol I was full of Ooooo and Ahhhh too. Totally shot that book into my TBR pile. :D 

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Adara. Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. LC, 
    Your work is amazing. I know I've told you this before, but it bears repeating. In the same way that writers flock to other publishers to have a chance at getting a Reese Dante cover, they shall soon be flocking to Riptide for a shot at an LC Chase cover. You get it, that single indescribable thing which makes a cover leap from the screen or off the shelf while staying absolutely true to the spirit of the writer's work. That's rare, and trust me, folks are noticing. Get ready. After this? The deluge.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am glad you won Josh Lanyon's cover contest and that leads you the opportunity of being the Riptide's Art Director! So far, the covers are really gorgeous.

    PS : Don't forget your writings ^__* ( Enjoy your Long Tall Drink )

    moniqee
    moniqee@hotmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  26.  Your covers are very beautiful.
    Interesting interview.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...