Thursday, July 12, 2012

JP Barnaby: In Fact and Fiction~An Interview with Chris X



I’m very excited to be given the opportunity to interview JP Barnaby about her writing, why she writes what she writes and how she creates the brilliance that we read in between the covers of her books. The newest release in her series, Little Boy Lost is a book entitled Sacrificed and I’m really looking forward to reading about this world and these characters again.
 I was honored that Cherie and Amara gave me the chance to conduct my very first interview with an author as brilliant and amazing as JP, so I’ll try to keep my gushing down to a minimum, although, according to my partners, with my effusive personality, that’s really not something I can claim to do.

First, I have to say – that was some intro! Thank you so much. I’m honored to be your first interview, and I must tell you that you’re off to a wonderful start.
Ignore my blush people. It’s not every day I get to talk to a writer that I admire.
Thank you so much for that JP.
So, JP, we’ll just jump right into the interview here:
Why did you decide to be a writer?
I didn’t, actually. I kind of fell ass backwards into it after entering a Dirty Talking contest. The story I wrote became popular, and I loved the feedback I received from it. At that point, more and more characters started to talk to me, and I merely wrote down what they said.
So you opened a door and they all came flooding in huh? My partners are like that too.
Do you have a muse? Who is it and do you have any fun stories to share about them?




My muses tend to rotate depending on what I write. I have a hot little subby boy who helps me write my BDSM stories. I have a sweet little twink who helps me write Little Boy Lost, and I have a hot little emo chick who helps me work on some of my M/F and M/M/F stuff. They flow in and out of my life at will, wreaking havoc at the most inopportune times.
While I was writing the Little Boy Lost series, my naughty side decided to come out and play, I got the idea for a wickedly hot masturbation scene in the middle of a kid’s birthday party. I grabbed my notebook, went off into a corner, and wrote about Brian using a rainbow colored glass dildo for Micah’s amusement. I never know when each of these little monster’s will pop its little head up to play.
Sounds like a fun time to me. You can never go wrong with a glass dildo or a little monster popping his little head up to play.
When you’re writing, what are three things that have to be next to you in order for you to do so?
1.      A MOUSE – I recently bought a Samsung Series 9 laptop because of all the traveling I’ve been doing. It’s lightweight and fast with its solid state drive, but the touchpad is a holy nightmare. It clicks all over the screen just by breathing on it. So, I’m forced to turn it off while I work and it really helps to have an external mouse.
2.      TWITTER – I love hearing that people like what I’m writing, so I’ll put up little 140 clips of whatever I’m working on, especially if it’s a hot sex scene. Recently, I’ve been writing out a sexual fantasy for adult model Drake Jaden to much Twitter appreciation.
3.      IPHONE – It is easier for me to write without auditory distractions: kids, dogs, conversations, even a radio just outside my range of hearing—they distract me and take away from what I’m trying to do.
I think Twitter is like a big internet block party and Drake Jaden is super, super hot so I imagine any sexual fantasy you write out for him would set Twitter on fire.
On a typical writing day, how does your day start off?
I don’t generally have “writing days”. I write pretty much every day, at least for a little while.
That will guarantee that more books get written so I’m super happy about that.
If you weren’t a writer, what would you do instead?
I’m really not a writer, it’s a hobby. My career is actually in software development. I write financial software: accounts receivable, accounts payable, budgeting, and reporting software. The writing came about as kind of a therapy and escape from the stress. I love doing it, but it will never replace my full-time career.
-shudders-Budgeting. I’m glad you’re doing that and not me.
Do you work better with a deadline or is it easier for you to write a book as time allows?
As much as I say that I hate them, it is much easier for me to write with a deadline. I thrive under pressure. Aaron has been two years in the making, but once I received the contract from Dreamspinner, it flowed better than it had in months.
Pressure can be good, especially if it’s located in the right area under the right circumstances. And things flowing well is even better.
Do you use beta readers, writing group, critique partners or do you generally just fly solo?
I use a combination of all of the above. I absolutely love my critique partner, Rowan Speedwell. She’s an amazing author and a great person to bounce ideas off of. I also have an editor that I pay to go through my books before they’re submitted to Dreamspinner—not because I find any fault with their editing, but because I was a physics major not an English major, and I am an absolute comma nightmare. I also have a group of 10-12 pre-readers (both male and female) who read the books purely for content and enjoyment to tell me if they have unresolved questions, or if something just doesn’t ring true with them. Plausibility in my work is extremely important to me.
Oh I love Rowan Speedwell’s writing! That’s so cool that she’s your critique partner. Sounds like you’ve got a veritable village for your books and it’s working quite well.
Is there such a thing as a perfect character for you? If so, who would that be?
To me, a perfect fictional character would be delightfully flawed, redeemable, three-dimensional, smart but deviant, and spontaneous. I don’t believe that there should be angels and demons in romantic fiction. Even your worst enemy would have some positive qualities and your most wonderful hero would have his issues. I love a character who is unpredictable, and a story that surprises me.
So perfectly flawed? That’s why your characters are so relatable.
If you could live in any of your books, which one would you choose and why?
The Forbidden Room – without question because I want to be their little plaything. I want to submit into my gorgeously flawed Master Ethan, and peg the wickedly hot boy Jayden.
-happy shiver- I’m right there with you. I must make a note of this, I think my weekend is looking up.
Do you think that you’ll still be writing in ten years? Why or why not?
Yes. I have no idea if I will still be publishing, but writing is my therapy so I’m sure I’ll still be working out my many issues even ten years down the road.
If you want to send me what you’re writing in ten years, I have no problem volunteering to walk that road with you. (Yes, this is my shameless way of getting more writing by JP.)
Thank you so much for doing this interview JP. It has been an honor and a privilege to be able to ask you these questions and get to know you as an author just a little bit better.
Thank you, Chris, for taking the time to write out this interview and thank you to Amara and the rest of the Amara’s Place staff for inviting me to post with you for the blog tour. I sincerely appreciate the opportunity!

Chris X


You can find JP Barnaby at the following locations on the web:

Or, for a fun interview with JP and Michah from her Little Boy Lost series, check out this snazzy link: http://youtu.be/CR2wfzj6vJE 

6 comments:

  1. Ohh, all the stories sound tantalizing indeed. And hot, impish muses are just the ticket!

    vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My muses seem to have a time sharing plan inside my head that they refuse to share with me. Right now I have four viable works in progress and they're ALL talking.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Chris & Amara for the post and thank you JP for letting us see into your writing process. Your posts have been most illuminating and I look forward to reading all of them. I still want to know where you get all your energy though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shadow! I'll let you know when I find it. LOL :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Shadow! So glad you enjoyed the interview. Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Amara for having me on your blog, and thank you Chris for taking the time to pose the questions. The tour has been such a positive experience.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...