Friday, October 19, 2012

Review: Working for the Devil by Lility Saintcrow


by Lilith Saintcrow


Blurb: When the Devil needs a rogue demon killed, who does he call?

The Player: Necromance-for-hire Dante Valentine is choosy about her jobs. Hot tempered and with nerves of steel, she can raise the dead like nobody's business. But one rainy Monday morning, everything goes straight to hell.

The Score: The Devil hires Dante to eliminate a rogue demon: Vardimal Santino. In return, he will let her live. It's an offer she can't refuse.

The Catch: How do you kill something that can't die?



My Rating: 3.5-4 out of 5 Amara stars

My Thoughts:

In a nutshell... twas good. 

Been a while since I've read any Urban Fantasy, or PNR, or... well... anything with a heroine really. As a rule, they annoy the crap out of me. Always whining, doing the 'I hate him, I hate him, I hate him, I can take care of myself, get in trouble, wait for big guy to come save me' stoopid pink thing. Drives me bonkers and I usually wanted to kill her myself. Why wait for the bad guy to do it. I read for the hero, so if I killed her off, I could just read about him. Once I found M/M about 3 yrs back I quit reading books with heroines in them. 

Problem solved.

A friend recommended this series to me. Promised the heroine wouldn't make me want to wring her neck. And I'd even get a hot demon out of the deal. Trusting their opinion, I went for it. 

What do you know, they were right. Yay for that.

The book was good. The paranormal / magic / fantasy aspect was pretty cool. Rather unique world the author created. Not the same, over done story line. Some of the repetition bothered me, but Danny was a decent heroine. Cool, strong, badass type. She only annoyed me a couple of times, and I never wanted to kill her off. The way I usually react to heroines... that's saying a lot. The secondary characters were good as well. Best of all... Japh, the demon dude...ooooooh myyyyyyy. I am head over heels for him. Rawr. I want my own Japh. ;)

All in all, I enjoyed it. When I finished, I must admit, I'm very glad I'm coming into this series very late in the game and sequels are readily available. Otherwise... I'd be extremely upset at how it ended.

Extremely! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Won't say why, wouldn't want to spoil anything, but I can promise... this review would have looked different. But, since I can just go on to book two, and hopefully get unpissed, I'm a happy reader overall. 

This book pretty much rocked.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...